David Archuleta Says God Told Him to Publicly Come Out

David Archuleta Says God Told Him to Publicly Come Out

David Archuleta is talking more about coming out.

After making the decision to come out as LGBTQ+ back in June, the 30-year-old American Idol singer opened up in an interview with Today on Tuesday (August 30).

Click inside to read more…

“I was shocked because I thought, ‘OK, this is probably gonna be a bigger deal, maybe I’ll get 30,000 or 40,000 likes, if that,’ because I know this is a controversial topic and a lot of people have assumed things about me and tried to label me in the past. But it exploded. I didn’t realize all the media outlets were going to talk about it, but the way that they did, it was so respectful,” he said of his decision.

He also talked about his Mormon upbringing and his fath.

“I didn’t really want to be honest with myself because I was always embarrassed, and really, I was ashamed to feel that way. Just growing up in a religious household, the idea was, ‘Oh this isn’t OK. It’s not right.’ I must have done something wrong and I got to a point where I was feeling so embarrassed and so guilty,” he admitted.

He eventually confessed to a mission president, a church leader based in Chile, about his feelings.

“I guess I was expecting to be sent home from my mission, or be counseled on how to overcome these feelings or how to fix it. But my mission president, he didn’t tell me I needed to fix it. He didn’t tell me how to change. He didn’t try to correct me. He just said, ‘This could be the most important day of your life, Elder Archuleta.’”

David also said that when it came time to come out publicly, he had a conversation with God about the decision.

“I was literally outside doing my yard work, pulling weeds. I kind of went through a faith crisis for a month, when I was in the process of breaking up with this girl I was in a relationship with. But I felt so disconnected from everything. My anxiety had gotten so bad. I was like, ‘I don’t even remember how it feels to be close to God or to even have feelings for anybody.’ Or, I don’t even know how I feel about myself right now,” he went on to say.

“When I had that prayer, God just said, ‘David, you know I trust you, right? I want you to post about what you’re going through right now.’ And it was just so clear what I needed to say. I knew exactly what I needed to say but I feel uncomfortable saying it because I like to keep to myself, especially with this kind of stuff. But I just knew I had to.”

Find out what else he had to say about his journey to love himself.



from Just Jared https://ift.tt/3kIiy79

No comments:

Post a Comment